Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Train Bully?

Today we were at the playground, as we have so often been this summer.  (Let me just take this moment to whine about the fact that it has been so rainy and otherwise cool in August that we haven't been to the pool much at all this month!  Boo!)  One of James's favorite activities there  --no wait, it IS his favorite activity there-- is to play on the train.

There is this three-piece playground equipment that has an engine (with steps up the coal tender portion and a slide down the cow catcher part; it also has a ladder on the side for the "engineer"), a passenger car (a tunnel with windows), and a caboose (a.k.a the Dining Car as it has a small table and benches built in).

Well, when we got there this morning, James bee-lined for the train.  (Not sure if that's really a verb, but anyway...)  Some little girls were there as well.  James got on board the engine and promptly told the little girl that he was the conductor.  Impressively, she held tight to the "steering wheel" and didn't budge out of his way.  He kept insisting, and I told him he needed to take turns.  He started to push her out of the way, and I removed him from the train.  I told him he had three choices: 1) take turns, 2) play somewhere else and come back when the girls were done, or 3) go home.

He told me he was going to be the whistle and toot until her turn was done.

Well.

He got on that engine and tooted with all his might.  He didn't touch the little girl or the steering wheel.  He just tooted.  And tooted.  Loudly.

"TOOOOOOOOT!!!!    TOOOOOOOT!!!!"

She started crying and left the train.


5 comments:

Preston said...

umm, I think James could be quite successful in political negotiations.

Preston said...

oh, that was Ali, by the way. the browser thinks I am P.

Jen said...

I would love for a politician to just toot like a train instead of their annoying "tooting."

A said...

hey I like that baby james outfit in your little blog profile picture. I like one-piece romper style outfits. cute and easy for diaper access. this whole pants thing is for the birds.
(except not even, since birds don't wear pants)

Jen said...

I totally agree! We were big fans of the one piece outfits right up until potty training.
I would happily lend that one to you, but there's no way Ez could fit in it. :-( I should go through our stuff, and see what would fit him, and give it to you!