Saturday, May 17, 2008

Keeping the Dream Alive

Well, I've run the Maywood 5K every year that I've lived here except 2: once because I did a half in NYC instead and last year because I was preggers. Every year that I've run it I've placed in the top three. I ran it today as my big "comeback" race.

I was pretty laidback, especially compared to my former runner self. We (Dan & Maclaren stroller James came to cheer) didn't arrive on the scene until about half an hour before the race. Former Runner Self always got to races an hour ahead of time. I only ran about a mile to warm up and did just a few strides; mostly I was walking around with Dan & James. Former Runner Self was much more neurotic before the race, and did more miles and strides. I wasn't really scoping out the competition and getting all nervous like Former Runner Self did either. Again, just hanging with my baby instead.

Well, when the race was about to begin, I did go to the front. Then, when he said "Go," (and, yes, he actually said it! No gun. No horn.) I found myself turning into Former Runner Self. I jockeyed for position and scoped out where all the other ladies were. I stayed in the mix and went from 5th to 4th to 2nd many times within the first mile. Meanwhile, there was a woman wearing an iPod AND a long leash as belt. Yes, folks. She had a BIG dog pulling her through the race. Not only is this probably some form of assistance for her pace, but it is a BIG problem for the rest of us. This leash was pretty long, so the dog had lots of leeway. I was SUPER annoyed (can't you tell what with all my caps?), and picked up the pace just to stay away from the canine.

I also enjoyed flying on every downhill, no matter the grade. It is a habit I've picked up from running with Baby Jogger James, it appears. This helped me pass many a runner and get a lead on many ladies. Nice. I started to realize I could keep my top three streak alive.

I happily sprinted through the finish in 21 minutes. I almost made it under 21. Former Runner Self would have been annoyed with that time because Former Runner Self always wanted to break 20. New Runner Self literally danced a jig in the street with the joy of coming in third just five months after having the cutest lil' baby ever.

More proof I'm not Former Runner Self: no cool down-- just walking with the Maclaren full of cute baby.

No comments: