Thursday, August 14, 2008

The End of an Era


One week ago today, James's mobile came down. A very sad day indeed. That morning James had grabbed the animals as they danced by. He's been doing this for a while. In fact, that is what prompted us to lower his mattress; it was in effort to keep them from his reach. Well, on this day I realized he was always reaching them now. When he grabs them, he pulls them toward him (and his mouth, undoubtedly), thus pulling the entire mobile as well. A lovely clicky noise happens as the mobile is prevented from turning. I decided that I didn't want him to break the mobile or damage the crib where it's attached (or hurt himself, of course), so I took off the mobile arm. The music player is still attached. I was holding James when I did this, and he was aghast. He watched me take it off and put it in the closet with a look of disbelief and awe.

When Daddy got home and saw it was gone, he was disappointed too (our baby is growing up!). He offered to lower the mattress again, to its lowest setting. I said, "no" because soon enough James would be able to sit up and reach the mobile anyway. While Dan did point out that this might be a good way to entice James to sit up, I maintained my stance (plus, I don't want to have to reach down lower to pick James up/ put him down).

In the last week, he's survived just fine. He still enjoys turning the music on and off (especially with his feet...funny), and seems to have moved on to other stuffed animals as his source of affection.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Awe..I'm in love with our mobile. It plays numerous songs, but there is one (The one we use at nighttime) that is just beautiful. Add in cute little babies to beautiful music, and it makes for a pretty special time. I don't even want to think about it coming down.