Friday, September 4, 2009

Week One a Success! (now with photos)

So... the blog has been ignored for a while-- it's been pretty busy around here!

Last week was the last full week of vacation (during which I had a two day workshop), so James & I were maximizing our fun. Lots of playdates, pool visits and even a visit to have lunch with Daddy at his office.

This week we headed to school. My first day (inservice) was Tuesday. James's school was having inservice that day as well, so Dan stayed home for Daddy-Son day. This worked out really well for me because I didn't feel rushed to go pick James up and was able to stay at school long enough to get everything done that needing doing before the students arrived the next morning.

On Wednesday, James headed off for his first full day of daycare. Dan graciously offered to drop him off so that I wouldn't feel rushed or sad on my first day with students of my own. Other than not wanting to wash his hands (which they have to do each morning upon arrival, as well as before snack & lunch), James was thrilled to be there. Dan, on the other hand, was a bit sad. When I arrived that afternoon (after a long, but good first day of fifth grade), James happily showed me around the room and didn't seem to anxious to leave.

Yesterday was much the same-- Dan dropped off, James wasn't a fan of handwashing, and I picked up. James had just gotten up from his nap when I got there, and he was much more interested in visiting the library than leaving with Mommy. After he'd looked at a couple of train books, I was able to entice him away with the allure of an afternoon visit to the playground. We had fun on the swings (James even rode the big-boy swing!) and slides before heading home for supper.

Today was another good one. It took me half an hour to get James to leave-- today it was a car/truck/bus puzzle. We've been really pleased with how happy James has been. Each morning he smiles and talks about the train toy when we tell him he's going to his class. He's been eating all of his lunch food and getting good naps (which totally amazes me-- I'd love to see him go down for a few hours on a mat on the floor at home! ha!) His teachers tell us both how well he's doing and how smart he is. They've been impressed with his knowledge of body parts and the alphabet as well as his overall language skills.

It has certainly been an adjustment (and will continue to be so) for me to start juggling all the stuff at home with my responsibilities at school. I've never claimed to be a super housewife, but I was starting to find my stride. Now I'm just exhausted and so very thankful for a)a three day weekend and b) a four day workweek next week. I've managed to get up at 5 to run each day, brew and imbibe some coffee, hang out with James each afternoon, do my schoolwork at night after James goes to bed, and collapse in bed. This weekend, among other things, we'll work on getting things cleaned up and organized to help get a routine established for the week.


James checking out his lunch on the first day of school.

James looking stripe-tastic with his jacket on, ready to head to class.
After school, playing in the yard.

No comments: