Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mommy's Little Sidekick

James came along with me today to my school. I did a bit of organizing, etc. to get my new classroom ready for my impending return (more on that in another post...).

Of course, he was DELIGHTED to see ceiling fans and a box fan, all of which I turned on immediately. I shut the door to the classroom and basically let him wander. He played with the recess balls and "read" books. He really enjoyed the Atlas-- he just sat in a (random, high school style) desk flipping through it. So cute.

James even fed himself a snack (snackbar & Cheerios-- aka "Chos") and flipped open his water bottle. How very grown up.

He LOVED riding the elevator and pressing the buttons. (I loved it when he held my hand waiting in the dark vestibule for the elevator to arrive.)

We were there for about two hours! I actually feel like the room is in pretty good shape. So much so that I would feel fine if I didn't go back again until school starts. Of course, I have no idea what I'd actually do with the kids, but the room would be ready at least!

After being such a good (no, GREAT) sport, I took him to a playground. We went to the sandbox, played with "diggers," had a picnic, watched the commuter train go past several times (though the excitement never waned), took a swing ride, went up and down the hill in the tunnel, ...

Dan was meeting us, but got held up at work. He finally got to the park and ate his lunch while James went back for more sandbox. By the time we got ready to leave, we'd been there 2 hours!

He sacked right out on the drive home. I just have to say, I LOVE that cuddly, sleepy arm around your neck when you carry in (sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much) a sleeping toddler.

**Oh! James has started reading along with many of his books. Thus far, he's filled in the ends of sentences in: Snuggle Puppy, Green Eggs and Ham, Curious George Goes to School, The Little Engine That Could, Little Pea, Hop on Pop, The Potty Train, Baby Brains, Corduroy...

No comments: