Friday, December 4, 2009

James-ese and A Very Sad Parenting Lesson

So, James speaks his own language sometimes. (I'm sure it sounds a bit like "Olympian"-- a language spoken by a certain adorable three year old circa the '88 Games.)

When there is something he's interested in for which he doesn't know the name, he'll point and say something along the lines of, "Babe-ooo-ab-gab-ee-ee?" in a somewhat sweet, and high voice. It cracks me up. We'll respond, "Do you want the salad dressing?" "Yes!" (with an enthusiastic nod) "salad dressing."

He's started to say "Cheerios" better instead of "Chos." And "cookie." (so sad to have "chi-chi" out of rotation.)

"Mountain" is pronounced "Mah-ment," and "Hickory Dickory Dock" is "Hicky Dicky Dock" or just "Dicky Dock."

Remember, the second word or syllable always receives the emphasis in James-ese.


Now for the sad news. Yesterday my fantastic NYC snowglobe became a casualty to toddlerhood and poor parenting judgement. A few weeks ago a certain grandparent showed James the snowglobe as, I'm sure, an innocent means of entertainment. Of course, James loved it-- especially listening to "New York, New York" and watching the cars go around on the base. He called it "House." Or "James House!" (after a few referrals in James-ese babble). I didn't let him hold it. He had to just watch it. Which he'd do laying next to it for the best view.

Well, yesterday I was a bit distracted and didn't get to him fast enough when the music stopped. I saw him trying to wind it up himself. The next thing I knew, he was screaming and the water and glittery "snow" was all over the floor. FORTUNATELY, he didn't cut himself (although I'm still not sure how he managed that!). I was so concerned with him that I didn't have time to be sad about the snowglobe until later.

It's probably irreplaceable as it had the Twin Towers in it. Dan got it for me at least 10 years ago when I still lived in SC.

Oh well. We know it is only the first of many things that will be broken/damaged/lost/ruined by children. And we've also learned that such items must be kept out of reach. Always.

No comments: