Saturday, June 5, 2010

Jamesisms

James is quite the loquacious kiddo these days. He chats away. Especially when he's in his comfort zone (with Mommy and/or Daddy, at Grandma & Grandpa's, at school). The tricky thing is that he reverses his pronouns.

For instance, "I need to make the train! I make it! I!" (And those italics are not to identify the pronouns, but rather the words he's stressing.) means that "you" need to make a train for him.

Similarly, "You did it!" is a triumphant declaration of self-achievement.

Dan and I have internalized the translating, but it's trickier for others. Grandpa and James dialogs are particularly entertaining. "I need to do it." "Yes, you do it." "I do it!" "Yes, you can do it." "I do it! I!" "Well, then do it." Good times.

Apart from the pronoun reversals, here are some fun catchphrases and such:
  • "That sounds like a plan."
  • "Eggs and jegs" (I have no idea what jegs are; he made this one up.)
  • "I love you all to pieces."
  • "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, eleventeen, sixteen, . . ."
  • "I love Target."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pop Pop talks like that too.