Wednesday, September 8, 2010

James's First Day

Today was James's first day of school. This year he's in the 2s room; there are many familiar faces from the toddlers room and some new children as well.

This morning we got James ready to go, and I said, "James, let me take your picture for the first day of school."

"It's not the first day of school. It's the first day of building a tall tower," he replied and walked off with his bag of blocks.

He was pretty unhappy about the prospect of school until I reminded him about some of the great toys he had played with in his visits to the twos room this summer (trucks, flatbeds, Ernie,...). Then he popped up and ran to the door. "Let's go! Let's go to school!"

"Mommy is going to school, and James is going to school, and Daddy is going to work. We are all going to work."

He had a good day. While he was very happy to see me, he announced, "I want to go back to school!" as soon as we walked outside. Three cheers for happiness!

1 comment:

A said...

the picture of James crying on the couch totally cracks me up!! (only because he was happy shortly thereafter. I suppose it would not be funny if he remained that upset. but it's such a funny back-to-school sentiment. so many people feel that way!)