Thursday, February 2, 2012

Labor!

So I guess Baby figured I had done everything on my to-do list, so it was safe to arrive after 38 weeks and 1 day.

I woke up throughout the night Saturday into Sunday having contractions.  I was trying to record them (thanks, iPhone app), but kept falling asleep, so that didn't go so well.  Finally, things got too uncomfortable in bed, and I wanted Dan to be able to sleep restfully, so I came downstairs to pay bills and record the contractions more accurately.

Once Dan and James were up, we decided that I may in fact be going into labor!  I finally called and spoke to the doctor at 12:30, and she told me to go to the hospital to get checked out.  We ate some quick lunch first, and I was first assessed in Labor & Delivery at 1:30.  They deemed me an "outpatient" temporarily (I was 3-4 cm) and sent me out to walk laps of the halls.  I was happy to do so!  No IV (hooray, Holistic Birth!), just my trusty water bottle and amazing husband.  It was also nice to have my friend Kate working at the time, so we'd chat with her at the nurses' station each lap.  When I was reassessed at 3:30, not only was I admitted (5-6 cm), but our nurse, Patty, was certain that the baby was soon to arrive!!

Dan and I thought she was crazy as they turned on the warmer and got all the instruments ready.  Meanwhile, my contractions did pick up.  Patty and Dan were so very helpful, and I proceeded along as hoped with no drugs, etc.  In what seemed like the blink of an eye (well, a few painful blinks, I'll admit), our baby was indeed here!

At 4:51, we welcomed another sweet baby boy to our family!

No comments: