Thursday, February 2, 2012

Busy First Week of Leave

Last week was my first week home from school.  I filled the week with lots of last minute tasks and some fun as well:

Monday
 James had a "nothing day" (no school), and his 4 year check up.  He's nice and healthy-- 39.25 inches tall (23%) and 32 pounds (15%) which gives him a healthy BMI of 14.6.  His blood pressure was 89/44-- he found the bp cuff to be quite interesting and "tickly."  He also got to pee in a cup-- Very exciting!

Tuesday
I ran some errands,  had a meeting at school, and there was also my doctor's appointment and ultrasound.  According the u/s, Trixie/Dutch was 6lbs 12 oz at which point I inquired as to the accuracy of those measurements (the measurement had been 6 lbs 3 oz the week before; James was only 6lbs 2oz when he was born after 39 weeks!).  The dude said give or take 6 oz-- wowzers-- this looks like a big (for me) baby!

Wednesday
 I took care of some returns/shopping.  I went to the spa to get my hair and nails done-- so fun!  I had some gift certificates, so I enjoyed a spa manicure, a Mommy-to-be pedicure, and then went to the salon where I got my hair cut and blown out.  Fun!  Then I was off to meet with the Holistic Birth coordinator at the hospital before picking up James and taking him to choir practice.


Thursday
Dan and I met for a lunch date at a new coal-fired pizza place we'd been wanting to visit.  I did some work around the house, then James and I headed out on an after-school play date (complete with pancake and egg supper!  Yum!) with his "Cora's house friends."

Friday
We had another lunch date just because we could.  I took James to his dentist appointment where we were sad to learn that his baby front teeth are permanently gray thanks to a fall he took after spinning himself dizzy in the kitchen a couple weeks ago.  At least his permanent teeth should be fine!

Saturday
James had a sibling class at the hospital.  We'd signed him up for it back in December.  He was so excited that he was skipping into the lobby.  He also thought we were going to have the baby that day, but we told him, "Not yet.  Today is just for you to find out about being a big brother."
"Oh, like what Angus taught me?"
"Yes."  Angus is a dog from the book What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home.  He received the book for Christmas (thanks, Kim & Jeff!) and had been requesting it at night quite frequently.  Angus's lessons really sank in, for James was the star student answering questions in class.  I must admit that I got quite teary-eyed seeing him hold the baby doll so sweetly.  He also diapered the baby and swaddled him/her!  Then we watched a silly sibling video and took a tour upstairs where James admired two very cute baby girls in the nursery.


That night I had dinner plans with my mommy friends.  I was feeling a little weird before I went out, but decided to go anyway.  We had a great time.  The delicious food (yum-- Melting Pot!) and entertaining conversation kept my mind off the odd sensations that I confided to the ladies "may or may not be contractions..."

No comments: