Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One Month!


It's kind of hard to believe, but as of 4:51 this evening, John will officially be one month old!  (Good thing it's Leap Year, so he can have a proper one-month-day.)
Mr. Stern-face
This morning, after his bath (btw, I'm still doing the "sponge bath" routine because it's fairly easy now; I suppose we'll switch to a "real bath" sometime soon.), I weighed him (thanks to my friend Lauren for lending us the scale!).  No diaper, no clothes, and he hadn't just eaten, thus I feel like it was a totally legit weight check.  Are you ready for this?  8 pounds, 6.5 ounces!

He has longer periods of wakefulness now, and enjoys certain activities for short periods of time:
  • looking at the Black & White picture book that was James's  (it folds out accordion-style, so you can stand it up next to the babe)
  • gazing at the dangling cow heads on the Pack 'n' Play  (um, they're little stuffed animals)
  • tummy time
  • holding up his head and looking around
  • lying under the mobile in his crib, listening to music  (this often results in slumber)
  • getting his hair washed
John continues to be an efficient nurser, and while he is getting better at burping (or maybe I'm getting better at burping him), he continues to be a champion of spitting up.  Delightful.  
But truly, that is the only trouble he gives us, so I cannot really complain.
I'm growing weary of this photo shoot

James is a great big brother!  He's started to refer to his sibling as John now.  Although last weekend he suggested we change John's name to Baby.  He often says "the baby" or "my baby" (like yesterday when I picked him up from school, and he told a friend, "Look, I have a baby now.  Do you want to see my baby?").  We don't hear Dutch or Brush so much anymore.

James loves to help with his baby brother.  He quite enjoys assisting with diaper changes by operating the diaper pail.  He's also a huge fan of pushing John's stroller.  He's not too big on holding John, but he loves touching him gently, singing "Twinkle, Twinkle" to him, holding his hand, and kissing him.




Yesterday morning James did ask me if I had another baby in my belly.  He said we needed three babies.  "I'm the first, John is the second, and a baby girl is the third."  He then proceeded to show me three fingers-- "This is me, this is John, and this is the girl baby."  Ah, if only it were that easy!

No comments: