Thursday, September 4, 2008

Delicious!

In this photo, as you can see, James is sporting a lovely carrot mustache and goatee. It cracked me up. This was also his last store-bought baby food. I've been making it myself for a few weeks now. It is really pretty easy; I just buy fresh or frozen organic fruits and veggies, steam them, and puree them using our hand-held Braun mixer.

The first time I made any it was fresh NJ peaches. When I put the top on my final jar (I'm re-using all my store-bought containers), Dan said, "Don't you feel like a super yuppy mom now?" Yes, I do.

It is SO much cheaper to make it myself! Plus, I have plenty on hand. Right now there are several jars of peaches, plums, sweet potatoes, peas and green beans in the freezer. Other pros to homemade: it is prettier (the peas and beans are actually GREEN instead of olive colored), you can make whatever you want and however thick or thin you want it.

James has also enjoyed fresh avacado and banana. Thankfully his early distaste for Mommy's favorite wonder-fruit subsided, and we usually share a banana every morning. Lately he's been enjoying having about half a banana mashed into his morning oatmeal.

He also had a few pieces of zweiback toast. He seemed to enjoy it both times, but on subsequent offers, he wanted no part of it. In fact, he just tossed it aside.

This weekend, we gave him Cheerios instead. He liked them. Lots ended up in his high chair and bib pocket, but lots went into his mouth and belly as well.

As a baby who'd conquered finger foods, last night we gave him chicken! We'd broiled a breast with no seasoning (yum), and cut a portion of it into very small bits. He had a great time eating them, and ate quite a bit!

Our little man is growing up!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Wow - seems like that will be FOREVER from now that our babies will get to this stage, but I'm sure it'll be sooner than later.

I like the idea of making your own baby food. I'm not sure we'll actually DO it, but I do like it.

Jen said...

Yeah, it took me several weeks to make it myself, but it is so much easier than I thought it would be.

I got a great book from Williams Sonoma (for under $20) called Cooking for Baby.

Time does fly... sometimes I wish James was still so tiny as the Daybies.