Sunday, September 9, 2007

Baby's First Race

So, on Saturday morning, Baby and I tackled a 4 mile race in Central Park. Dan & I had signed up to do a 5K at Shea Stadium (home of our beloved Mets) in July, but it got canceled, and my registration was automatically switched to the race this Sat. I wasn't going to do it, and tried to get my registration refunded, but that didn't work. So I figured, "Hey, I know I can do 4 miles, and it has been ages since I've run in the Park, so let's do it!" Dan was not a fan. I had to promise to take it easy and not slip into "race mode."
I picked up my number before the race and noted with a smile that it listed my pace as 6:27. Yeah, not for now! Then I picked up my t-shirt. Usually I get (or wish they hadn't run out of) size small. Instead I asked for a medium, then traded that in for a large after holding it up to my belly.
Well, it was continued to be a non-normal pre-race routine for me. I ate two bananas over the course of an hour and drank plenty and then just hung out at the port-o-johns. No warm-up. At all. Just lots of trips to the restroom to try to avoid the need to go mid-run (which happens almost daily now). Also, I didn't worry about changing into racing flats or looking for the person giving out stickers for the local elite starting area. In fact, I didn't even look for my teammates because I wanted to keep the easy run mindset.
When it came time to line up, I made my way to the middle of the pack. When the race started, I just ran my normal easy pregnancy pace. I was amazed that I was passing people and proud that I made it up Cat Hill with no problems or walking. I did walk a bit as I forced myself to drink a full cup o' water at the first station (I rarely take water in short distances, and especially not at mile one). I also walked a short stretch in the second mile as we went uphill to the transverse. In mile three, which is quite hilly, I walked a lot more. Mile four is pretty much downhill, so I just stayed steady. As I was approaching the finish, I took a look over my shoulder out of curiosity. I couldn't believe how many people were behind me! Good for them for being out there though.
After the race, I managed to catch up with quite a few teammates who were surprised to see me. It was fun to visit with everyone and to get pregnancy advice from those who've been there.
Oh- another highlight of the morning happened before the race. As I was walking towards the port-a-johns, a basketball rolled in front of me. I stopped it with my foot, picked it up and threw it to a vaguely familiar woman who then complemented me on my "quick hands and feet." When I walked past that booth later, I saw that it said "Shoot Hoops with the WNBA," so I think I got props from a professional basketballer!!!

No comments: