Friday, September 7, 2007

Back to School

OK, so the blog hasn't been updated in a while because I returned to work on Tuesday, and my students returned to school on Wednesday. I must admit that I was pretty nervous about going back to school because I was afraid of getting lots of unwanted advice and comments about the pregnancy, etc. For example, "You're too small," "You're too big," "Is that what you're eating for lunch?" However, happily, it hasn't been that way at all! (yet.)
Most of the feedback has been along the lines of "You look so cute!" In fact, today my principal told me that I was her "favorite expecting person" because I'm so cute, and another teacher told me I remind her of Access Hollywood with my "celebrity-like baby bump." All this stroking of my ego is FABULOUS! Keep it up!
An additional good thing has been that my students haven't made much of a big deal about it at all. They asked if it's a boy or girl and when the baby will be born, but they haven't really asked about how long I'll be gone or anything like that. I'm super glad of that! Today one student did note when we walked past the room where my sub is currently doing a maternity leave for another teacher. He saw her name on the door and said it aloud with an interesting tone. Since the letter went home to parents a couple of weeks ago with her name listed as the maternity leave for both of us, I guess he was putting it all together at that moment. All I said was, "Yes, she's new, and this is her classroom." I kind of wanted to add, "and you'll get to know her very well this year." But I didn't.
Anyway, let me just say this. Telling the administration I was preggers in time to affect class lists was a brilliant move. My class ROCKS! Seriously, I love them!!! Now, of course I always love my class, but this class is just great. I have no major "issues" because they knew I'd be out for a good portion of the year. The kids are sweet and so well behaved. And adorable. It is delightful. (It also helps that I simply have four less students than last year, which has nothing to do with maternity leave, just enrollment.) Anyway, I am thrilled about this year at school, however much of it I end up working.

No comments: