Sunday, November 4, 2012

Marathon Morning

It's marathon day. But not really. Which is unfortunate because the weather is beautiful and quite possibly perfect for a marathon. And I feel sad for the runners who traveled from near and far after training for months only to find out on Friday night that the race had been canceled.

Do I think nyrr made the right call, in light of the damage and subsequent recovery in the area? Yes.

Should they have made that call on Tuesday? Absolutely.

Personally, I donned one of my NYC Marathon shirts and went for a run this morning. I couldn't join any of the relief runs being staged in the city in place of today's marathon, but it felt so good to just run. It was my first run in a week. My first run since I had taken my last minute last run before the storm last Sunday morning. I had a chance to hit many neighborhoods in town-- some with power, most without (identified by the sound of generators humming). I saw downed trees and brand new utility poles. I saw a train running!

I made it home in time for a hot shower (delightful) and warm breakfast (grits!) before heading to church. Which has electricity and (plenty of) heat. I charged my phone there, and we enjoyed a few hours of fellowship including trick-or-treating by the kids through the classrooms downstairs.

One of our neighbors gave James a bunch of (duplo) Legos that he's been thoroughly enjoying. He built a zoo and train this morning.

We're having an early dinner this afternoon at Grandpa and Grandma's house. We've seen lots of utility trucks, so we're hoping to beat the Nov 11th estimated date for power restoration.

No comments: